Monday , October 24 2016
Home / Info / Prince Charles helped push Saudi fighter jet deal for arms giant BAE

Prince Charles helped push Saudi fighter jet deal for arms giant BAE


Prince Charles used his position to influence Riyadh to enter into a multibillion-pound defence deal with BAE Systems.

Scottish National Party (SNP) MP Margaret Ferrier said Charles’ late wife Princess Diana would have campaigned against Saudi Arabia’s bombing raids on Yemen, which human rights organizations claim have killed thousands of civilians.

Ferrier said the Prince Charles was sent to Saudi Arabia as a salesman in 2014 after Prime Minister David Cameron failed to convince Riyadh.

The day after Charles was photographed awkwardly taking part in a traditional Saudi sword dance, Riyadh and BAE announced the deal had been finalised.

“People will recall the fantastic work of Princess Diana in raising awareness of landmines, leading to the success of the Ottawa mine ban treaty. Putting herself in danger in the process, she left behind a lasting legacy through her bold activism,” Ferrier said.

Diana was active in calling for the ban of landmines. The Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund called on the US to end its use of cluster bombs against Afghanistan in 2003.

“If she were still here today, I have no doubt she would be a fierce advocate for the civilians suffering in the growing humanitarian crisis in Yemen.”

Ferrier contrasted Diana’s campaigning with the British government’s determination to secure arms deals with Saudi Arabia.

“In 2014, when the prime minister could not convince the Saudis to agree to the financing of a multibillion-pound defence deal, Prince Charles was despatched to the Middle East to a festival supported by BAE Systems to perform a sword dance wearing traditional Saudi attire,” she said.

“The next day, Saudi Arabia and BAE announced the deal had been finalised. Great effort is put into maintaining our relationship and arms trade with Saudi Arabia.”

The Gulf kingdom has been accused of using illegal, British-made cluster bombs in its war on Yemen.

Human rights group Amnesty International has documented the discovery of a UK-made BL-755 cluster bomb in a village in Yemen.

British government denials that UK-supplied cluster bombs have been used in the ongoing conflict were met with skepticism by Amnesty, which described them as a “smokescreen of wildly implausible claims.”


Check Also


Putin warns Americans: You’re being distracted! [Video]

Russian president Vladimir Putin made a comment on the current state of affairs in America. …

Please support the site
By clicking any of these buttons you help our site to get better
Social PopUP by SumoMe